We liked the Insta360 Pro released last year because it upped the ante in resolution and immersion compared to other off the shelf camera solutions. This new Pro 2 camera essentially increases the performance by stitching six 4k images to truly bring VR recording to a point where resolution blends with realism at 8k 3D. VR has always suffered from the resolution Achilles heel which can kill the experience as you notice image errors like aliasing, softness or stitching artifacts.
The new Insta630 Pro 2 camera has 6 lenses and 6 full camera systems to capture the scene. If using H.265 for Post stitching it can reach 4k UHD at up to 120fps binned. All six cameras used at maximum resolution can build a 12k still image but for VR video you will be outputting an 8k stream in 2D or 3D with outstanding visual crispness. The demos shown do make it seem like headsets are now the technology that needs improvement to increase resolution and catch up.
Insta360 Pro 2 Specs:
- Lenses：6 x F2.4 fisheye lenses
- Storage：6 x MicroSD cards + 1 x Full SD card
- Power：12V 5A adapter
- Material：Aluminum alloy
- Exposure modes：Auto, Manual, Lens-by-Lens Custom, Shutter Priority (photo only), ISO Priority (photo only)
- ISO Range：100~6400
- Battery Capacity：5000mAh removable battery
- White Balance Modes：Auto, Manual
- Bitrate per lens：Up to 120Mbps
- Video Files：MP4
- Video Coding：H264 in-camera, H265 available when post stitching
Insta360 Pro 2 Video Formats:
- Post-processing Stitching:
- 7680 x 3840 @30 fps HDR (8K 2D)
- 7680 x 7680 @30 fps (8K 3D)
- 7680 x 3840 @60 fps (8K 2D)
- 6400 x 6400 @60 fps (6K 2D/3D)
- 3840 x 3840 @120 fps (4K 2D/3D Binning)
- 3840 x 3840 @30 fps (3D)
- 3840 x [email protected]（2D）
- Live-streaming Protocol：rtsp、rtmp、hls
- Live-streaming Modes
- Built-in server \ Custom server \ HDMI output
- Note: Simultaneous live-streaming + recording is supported.
- Standard \ Binning
- Note: i-Log is available in all modes and HDR is available in some modes.
- Photo Files：JPEG / DNG
- Real-time Stitching
- 7680 x 7680(3D)
- 7680 x 3840(2D)
- 7680 x 7680 (3D)
- 7680 x 3840 (2D)
- 12000 x 12000 12K Super High-Res
- (Multi-Photo Composite) (2D/3D)
Insta360 – Introducing the Insta360 Pro 2 by Insta360 Includes 120fps 4k sample:
- Single shot \ Burst (10 continuous shots) \ Timelapse \
- AEB (Auto Exposure Bracket, optional 3, 5, 7, and 9 photos for in-camera HDR photos)
- Note: Raw and JPG are both available in all modes
- Insta360 Farsight provides ground-to-ground range of up to 300 meters, with 30 FPS preview.
- Stabilization：Ultra-precise 9-axis gyroscope
- Image Stabilization：FlowState stabilization
- Antennae：GPS signal antenna + WiFi signal antenna
- GPS：Built-in module
- Ethernet Port：Yes
- Control software：Windows / Mac / iOS / Android
802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz. Signal range is about 20 meters in open space. Max preview framerate of 30 FPS, supported in roughly 5-meter range.
- 4 Mono Mic
- Video Color Space：YUVJ420P, offering a wide color range
- Audio coding format：AAC
- Spatial audio：Ambisonic
- Stitching：Optical Flow / Template
- Exposure Range：12 stop
Six low-res proxy files (one per lens) automatically saved in video mode; tailored for smooth editing in Adobe Premiere Pro
Sample Footage Insta360 Pro 2 :
Insta360 Pro 2 – Sample #3 Musician (8K2D H265) by Insta360:
Insta360 Pro 2 – Sample #4 FlowState Forest (8K2D H265) by Insta360:
Insta360 Pro 2 – Sample #2 FlowState Walk (8K2D H265) by Insta360:
Our Take on the Insta360 Pro 2:
This camera is a monster piece of technology. It requires 6 separate SD cards to save the independent camera streams at 120Mbps to be assembled in 8k later in post-production. The Price of $4,999 Tax and shipping Included is not for the average camera enthusiast. The camera has Pro in its name and that should tell you something about who it is geared for.
This is a camera that is essentially a VR production dream house. It is a self-contained unit with as of now class-leading resolution with improved stabilization and warping reduction based on the data saved by the 9-axis gyro built-in which really can bring an edge to a production. The built-in HDR uses the sensors effectively to deal with higher contrast scenes and avoid blow out skies and highlights while preserving shadows. The 60fps 8k mode makes it more fluid than other 30p systems giving better VR immersion. It is also small enough to be used on mid-size professional drones for 360-degree fly-bys. 4 built in 3D microphones will cover you for sound if needed as a primary or secondary audio capture solution.
The frame rates are geared to have some slow motion if needed at 4k 120fps but it is by no means a good high-speed camera. The Insta360 Pro 2 is all about the resolution to cater to high-end VR headsets and theater experiences. It is also looking forward to headsets that offer even better resolution like dual 4k displays which should be available in the future. Out are the 1080p or 720p frame rates of other VR cameras which are redundant. 4k 120p does a good job of slowing things down in the human and animal world to some degree. Anything above that it will not do but this camera is all about giving you the experience of real-time world scene capture.
If you are in the VR production space this camera is probably what you are looking for. If you can live with a GoPro Fusion or similar solution for your VR needs then don’t even think about it. The Insta360 Pro 2 workflow is not easy but it has improved with Adobe Premiere integration. The data rates needed for the capture at 8k is huge at 720 Megabits/sec even at h.265 which translates to 90MB/sec or give or take 1GB for 10 seconds which is compressed heavily of course.
8K HDR 360 camera! Insta360 Pro 2 Hands-on First Look by Lok Cheung:
The Insta360 Pro 2 is a great camera for VR production, it should herald the way for even higher resolution cameras in the future and possibly a more reduced footprint that becomes portable as well. Headsets are constantly evolving and increasing resolution with the processing needed for higher streams but we are a long way from real-time 8k VR 3D streaming without loading times and lag for live events. For a production house it gets you the VR experience for clients in a self-contained and cost-effective solution, for everyone else that is just dabbling in VR, it is a camera that as of now is overkill in a medium that is still defining itself. -HSC
More info and Ordering at the Insta360 Pro 2 Official Page: https://store.insta360.com/product/Pro_2