OnePlus has finally released its new flagship 2021 phones. And they have built a new 3 year partnership with medium format camera maker Hasselblad to build their phone camera modules. On this first iteration, we get Ultra Wide 50MP, Wide 48MP or standard and a 3.3x telephoto with 8MP which is the lower quality of the bunch.
OnePlus has respected its own heritage when it comes to frame rates as the new 9 handsets retain the 240fps in Full HD 1080p and 480fps in HD 720p mode for somewhat super slow motion and a new mode of 120fps in full 4k which is exciting. OnePlus had the edge in recording duration in previous phones and this new variant might keep that edge. However, we feel disappointed the resolution did not go up to full HD at 480fps and allow for a 960fps HD mode like many other phones out there.
The Google Pixel 2 and 2 XL have been unveiled and to put it simply the slow motion component has received no change. We are disappointed that the 120fps 1080p mode is the highest frame rate at that resolution when Apple’s iPhone 8 and X max out at 240fps 1080p. The 240fps spec on the Pixel 2 is the same also as the first Pixel phones at only 720p.
In 2016 we tied the iPhone 7 with the Google Pixel as equals in the slow motion game but it is clear that Google has dropped the ball with this release by not being particularly strong in the video side as Apple even has 4k 60fps added on their new phones when the Pixel 2 and 2 XL max out at 30fps. This year the iPhone 8 and X seems to be the slow motion phones of the year with a #2 spot for the Sony Xperia XZ series.
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL MainTech Specs:
- Operating System: Android 8.0.0, Oreo
- Display Always-on display
- Cameras Rear: 12.2MP • Front: 8MP
- Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835
- Memory & Storage RAM: 4GB • Storage: 64GB & 128GB
- Dimensions: Pixel 2: 5.7 x 2.7 in • Pixel 2 XL: 6.2 x 3.0 in
- Colors: Just Black • Clearly White • Kinda Blue • Black & White
- Media & Audio: Stereo front-firing speakers
- Battery Pixel 2: 2700 mAh • Pixel 2 XL: 3520 mAh
- Wireless & Location : Wi-Fi 2.4G • Bluetooth 5.0
- Network: World-wide network/carrier compatibility
- Ports: USB-C • 3.1 Gen 1
- Materials Aluminum unibody • Water & dust resistant
- Daydream ready • Hearing aid compatible
Pixel 2 Camera Specs Front and Back:
Rear Main Camera:
- Autofocus with laser + dual pixel phase detection
- Optical + electronic image stabilization
- f/1.8 aperture
- 1080p @ 30fps, 60fps, 120fps-
- 720p @ 30fps, 60fps, 240fps-
- 4K @ 30fps
- f/2.4 aperture
- Fixed focus
- 1080p @ 30fps
- 720p @ 30fps
- 480p @ 30fps
Meet Google Pixel 2 | More, more, more:
The new Pixel Phones are not bad representatives of current technology but they are not groundbreaking in capabilities or design. We would be hard pressed to recommend these phones above the iPhone this time when it came to video capabilities.
If you need a pure Android experience then the Pixel 2 and 2XL offer the best performance in an updated platform controlled by Google directly. Also the Pixel 2 has the 120fps 1080p spec which compare d to Samsung with it’s slow motion options only allowing for 240fps 720p on either the Note 8 or Galaxy S8 makes it a solid android choice. Samsung seems to be working on a 1000fps slow motion sensor package for a future phone that could be the Galaxy S9, so that is something to consider if you can wait.
Google Pixel 2 Impressions! by Marques Brownlee:
The Latest on Hi Speed Affordable Imaging!