Samsung has released an update to the Samsung NX1 4k Camera firmware now (Version 1.3) that among other things it improves the ease of use and selection of the high speed slow motion video 120fps mode. The improvements are varied and even ad a new USB control application to interface with the camera. Minor bug fixes and enhancements in workflow and usability are also added. The list of goodies below:
- Sensor reads larger data size, resulting in improved FHD quality – up to 60P (not for Slow Movie).
- Time code added features
- Rec Run option is added
- “1920×1080 (120)” setting in the Movie Size Menu for easy access
- Auto Mic Control On/Off
- Histogram & Digital Level are displayed during standby / recording mode
- Capture individual 4K frame forward & backward with precision
- Embedded EXIF data in jpeg
- Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode
- Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode
- Remains in Stand By mode after recording
Photo Mode Enhancements:
- Enhanced AF performance in low light condition
- Enhanced AF performance in back-light and spot light
- Enhanced AF performance in the corners when utilizing 16-50mm PZ lens
- Enhanced Face Detection AF performance
- Enhanced AF performance in movie mode
- Added “Zone AF” mode
- Increased the size of AF to 5 steps in AF “Area Size”
- No time limitation in Bulb mode
- Increased the time-lapse to 3,000 shots
- Includes the 4 most popular Pro Suggest presets (Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous Night, & High Speed)
- Simplified EXIF data preview
- JPEG, RAW (JPEG only), & Video transfer via WiFi
- Actual RAW file doesn’t transfer via WiFi. It only transfers JPEG file with Picture Wizard setting embedded to smartphone.
Introducing NEW Samsung Remote Studio software & SDK
- Download via ilauncher
- Full control of NX1 through USB
- SRS and SDK will be available to download on 1st week of June 2015
- Supports Tizen OS TV connection
- One touch connection
- Launched 2015 Samsung TV models operated by Tizen are compatible with NX1
- Overall fixed minor bugs
HSC: This is quite an update and bug fix combo. The USB control interface is icing on the cake. It is great to see that manufacturers continue to improve firmware as a camera ages.
Lumix G7 Disappoints in Slow Motion:
The Lumix G7 does many things right; it has 4k video with about the same quality as the GH4, it has a better 4k picture mode and has a very much improved live focus tracking in video. However for slow motion fans the Panasonic Lumix G7 maxes out at 1080p 60fps in NTSC and 1080p 50fps in PAL mode.
As a slow motion camera it is not even in the running these days, as a 4k camera it has a lot going for it. It would have been nice to have a 120fps mode on this lower cost Micro 4/3 option. That silver version looks very nice. HSC will not cover the G7 going forward as it lacks a true HD slow motion mode.